Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Monday, October 7, 2013

The First Trimester in Review (Weeks 1-10)

So I'm going to be a dad.  I am excited, I really am.  I have no experience with infants: I have only held one infant in my entire life (and his butt was warm...whatever that means) and in all actuality no experience with toddlers either.  I have been taking this pregnancy thing day to day.  

So it has been 11 weeks since my wife and I found out she was pregnant and she is turning into this pregnancy computer that has a wacky hard drive with a virus that does unpredictable things.

So I figured why not do a small review of the wonderful first trimester (with the understanding not all women go through this):

First she will cry.....about everything. 

Sad movies...crys
Comedy with a slightly sad scene....crys
Pictures of puppies or kittens.....crys
Old couples holding hands.........crys (though I may do that sometimes)
Craving for food and she knows she can't have.....crys
Crying..........crys some more

I kid you not.  Now I understand not all women are like this, but my wife is so that has to mean someone else out there in this world does this too.
One night I was going to bed and began reading my book and BAM I hear weeping on the other side of the bed.  There is no rhyme nor reason it just happens and maybe all this happens because this is exactly what is going to happen 8 months from now!!  Preparation.  Thanks honey!

She will eat the strangest combinations of food and have strong cravings.

I am luckier than most guys in that my wife doesn't crave peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with pickles and baby back ribs.  But she does desire food at weird times and sometimes involve strange combinations (tomato and avocados sandwich??).   I always feel like I am in hostage negotiations with my wife over certain foods.  They make no sense.  It is like drunk college frat boys running through a grocery store collecting random foods for tonights party!


I think I'm going to barf....all the time.  

Now I know not all women endure the dreaded morning sickeness but my wife was not one of them.  I had to give up some beloved foods just so that she wouldn't feel like she was going to barf when she smelled them (trust me pregnant women smell EVERYTHING!).  Sometimes people say don't worry it will get better in the 2nd trimester, but not for everyone.  

The End~

1 comment:

  1. First of all, Congratulations to both of you...somehow I missed the news! Chris, I hate to tell you this, but this just may be the beginning of Katie becoming a more emotional woman. I can tell you from personal experience that since I had my daughter over 23 years ago, I have been a crying machine. I didn't used to be so emotional, but there is something about becoming a mother that profoundly changes the way you look at the world and at yourself. So....I say just go with it. Wait until the first time you hold that little one in your arms and look at how tiny and helpless they are....you WILL understand.

    I surely hope that the nausea subsides too...that is miserable. It usually does get much better and goes away.

    It's great that you're doing a blog. It will be fun in the years to come to look back at your thoughts about this baby coming into your life.

    You'll be a great Daddy.....again, Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete