Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Monday, October 7, 2013

Sonogram Machines: Kinda like that old computer that never works (week 8)

Sorry I know this entry isn't in order but I forgot to post it so here it is!

So my wife and I got to see our kid for the first time.  Basically it looked like an grainy alien photo from some guy investigating Area 51 in the 1960's.  Either way we were really excited, except for a couple of things.

First I think it is basically torture to make a pregnant woman have to have a a full bladder in order to take this test.  I know there is some technical things behind this, but even I started to feel bad for her.  So then a feisty Spanish lady comes in and tells my wife all she needs to do. Lay back, Jelly on the stomach and boom.......alien photo.  But then like all good PC's it locked up. Frozen in time the photo of our kid.   This lady tried everything that my dad used to do to the VCR (yes dating myself) when I was kid.  A few bangs on top of it, bang on the keyboard a little bit, but to no avail.

So my wife and I sit there watching her run through her "oh crap this thing isn't working" checklist. In fairness my wife and I did recommend turning it off then on again technique.

Anyway, they bring in another lady who looks at it and repeats the same steps our lovely Spanish lady did.  They begin to argue like an old married couple, which reassures both my wife and I.  The next logical step: call IT, those guys know what they are doing right???!!

So a guy who reminded me of a friend from college comes in and is very polite.  At this point mind you there are three grown adults, myself and my wife in that super warm gown still on the table in a  6' X 6' room!    I smile as I watch everyone huddle around this machine.  Curse you Windows 7!!!!!    Finally the IT guy is like: I have no idea what's wrong with it.  After thinking they need to probably not have a complicated Operating System for a sonogram machine, they finally decided to move us to another room.

It is there that I got to see my kid, dancing around (yes dancing) in my wife's uterus.  Queue up dancing motions as I write this.   It was exciting!!

So I learned that all computers are the same.  When you really need them to work, they don't.  This adventure reminded me of all the times I needed to print some important paper in college only to have my printer die or computer freeze up.  Either way I'm still sticking to the turn it off and on again technique.

The End~

1 comment:

  1. I know this is quite a late comment. I had to go through the, "Why isn't this machine working?" for my first ultrasound too. It wasn't pleasant. But the doctor got someone else to come into the room and she got it to work.

    ReplyDelete