Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

First Time Dad Experiences: Teething

I know it has been awhile since I wrote last, but that is because I have had several first time dad experiences that take up quite a bit of my time.  These next couple weeks I will be sharing these wonderful experiences with you internet world.  

First up is teething.  Oh that wonderful time when your little one gets their first tooth or teeth.  Here are some important things to know as a dad:

1.  They are sharp as razors
Yeah so remember that moment when you used to stick your fingers in your babies mouth so they could cutely gnaw on it?  That won't happen anymore.  Those tiny little teeth might be small and cute but they will cut you in a heart beat.  I learned this the hard way when I wanted to relive my college days when I had those, "Hey what this? or "Check this out!" moments. Go ahead, stick your fingers in their mouth, but I warned you. 

2.  They will want to chew on everything
The funny thing is that you actually can tell when your child is teething.  How you ask?  Well because your child turns into a little goat and chews on everything you own!  My daughter, when I am playing with her, will even grab my face all nice and cute AND THEN TRY TO DEVOUR ME.  Okay that was slightly dramatic, she usually just tries to pull my face in close and try to CHEW ON IT TO DEATH. 

Seriously if there is something you value like watches, necklaces, your favorite shirt and your face make sure you put it away or don't wear it.

3.  They drool like you've never seen before
So on top of them trying to chew your face off and that they have tiny razors in their mouth, they also drool like a water balloon popped in their mouth.  I really have come to terms with the fact that my daughter drools on every shirt I own.  I try to wear dri fit stuff just so that it wicks away.  With teething comes drool (The second sign that your kid is teething) and with drool comes it being all over you.  

So how do you deal with it?

Well get them some toys that they can just chew on to their hearts content!  Grab them off amazon or something, but check to make sure they aren't from China (my wife says they put lead and arsenic in all their children's toys).  Apparently the most popular toy is this giraffe named Sophie (yes she actually has a name), but there are numerous ones out there.  

Get drool wipes or some clothe or a towel even and wrap it around their face with duct tape.  Or just get anything that you can wipe the drool off your kid.  We have five of them and I had to use them all at some point.  I just can't let my child look like a crazy person or someone who has rabies or was just bit by a zombie and looks hungry.  You get my point. 

The End~

2 comments: