Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer Memories


I know this is a biblical blog, but I can't help but think of some memories and being that I can hardly remember alot of stuff its best that I write it down. Besides the memories are more like a picture of GOd's grace and care for me at various times. The summer weather is here with blistering heat and humidity. This weather stinks for a lot of people, but there is a group that thrives and comes alive in this: Drum Corp people. I will never forget it, it was the summer of 1997, I had just graduated high school and decided to go to a drum corp show in Hampton, Va. That year they had some of the big wig groups there: The Blue Devils, Crossmen, etc... I will never forget hearing those groups and being in awe. I will never forget Crossmen playing "Birdland" with the screaming trumpets (called sopranos) and the drumline. I remember turning to my friends right after their show and saying that I was going to be in that group someday. After hearing the Blue Devils who played "A Night in Tunisia" which to me is still one of the best renditions of it, I left with a feeling of euphoria. From there I don't know how I got into the drum corp world, I think it was because most of the big groups were so far off I couldnt make it to the camps (you had to attend about 5 or 6 weekend camps about once a month) in states like Delaware, or NY. So I chose to be a part of a Division II corp called "Tarheel Sun" in North Carolina. The corp was dominated by people from the Virginia Beach area with some North Carolina peeps in there too. Immediately we worked so hard, in the sun, sweating, learning music, getting in shape. This was intense. I know at this point (non-musical) or ignorant people would just laugh and call it another form of band-geekizm. But this was hardcore: music, marching, reviewing-10 hours a day in the sun, no matter how hot it was you were out there practicing. Finally you made it to what they called "all-days". This was in May where basically you did this all day. 10 hours a day for 2 weeks learning the show, memorizing music....you get the hint.
Anyway you travel by tour bus, going from state to state, for 3 months till you get to like the Superbowl of Drum corp. Here are some things I remember from that tour: I remember being in Louisiana on a show one night and being bit like I was a piece of food by thousands of mosquitoes. it sucked, people's face were bit, arms, legs, everywhere, ahh it was terrible. I remember once (Akron, Ohio?)we practiced in a tornado storm, we did eventually stop when the sky went black but we were pelted by hail until then!! I remember climbing inside of a high school trophy case to get a Viking which we eventually duct taped to the back of bus for good luck. He broke the last week when the bus driver slammed his brakes. I remember being on a live morning TV show in Buffalo, NY, which we were originally told was going to be on a radio show, so we appeared in sweat pants and t-shirts at like 6am??!!!! I remember being in Allentown, PA, and hearing Billy Joel's "Allentown" being blasted to wake us up in the mornings. I remember my bus mate 'Buddha" (not his real name) and all the times we laughed and how we just gelled. I remember our off-day in San Antonio, TX and the water-park I went to. I remember wailing on my soprano during the solo part in El Cunga (our soloist decided to leave because he said they weren't feeding him and abusing him--all lies of course) during the July 4th celebration with Rob Hixson and getting yelled at by Al (horn instructor). I remember playing in D.C. and my friends came and I didnt know they were there except for when I took the field for the show. I remember turning to Drew one day when we were doing suicides (corp style) and saying " I think I am going to die. Wait no I can't I'm Superman!!" I remember how awesome we sounded and the shock on so many other Corps on how good we were. And finally all the friendship I made: Drew, BJ, Buddha, all of them were great people, and took me in and were great friends. We ended up winning 1st place at every show but the last 2 where we finished 2nd. Which still ticks most of us off to this day.

Oh and in 1999 I did march for the Crossmen. Here's the proof: click here It was fate all over again: I wasn't going to march that year due to money, and yet again I went to watch the Crossmen practice (as Drew left Tarheel to join them). I watched them practice and the horn line instructor came up to me saying that Drew had said something about being good at marching and playing. She said a spot was open and I could jump right in. I quit my job that day, went to the show that night, and got on a bus headed for N.C. show the next day. I had to learn the entire show, and music in about a week. That year was awesome as well. I remember playing with the big wigs of Drum Corp. I remember playing in front of 25,000 people in Madison,Wisconsin! We finished 10th place and I will never forget the experiences that I had with those groups. I had one more year to my name and still to this day this is one of the most difficult decisions I made was not to march my age-out year (something that is VERY special), yet I was in a cross-roads in my life--I was searching for Christ, and I knew that I needed to start college to begin my long journey to a 4 year degree. And I decided to pursue those rather than march and I am okay with it, but I always think what if (Crossmen finished 7th that year and played cool jazz numbers). But I will be a Tarheel Sun and a Crossmen for life. As someone wrote about the cross symbol used by the Crossmen says, "...every Crossmen member and alum knows, the cross has such special meaning."

Well they are certainly right, in more ways than you know!

Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment