Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Monday, January 6, 2014

A Little Reflection (Week 29)

Okay so I'm going to be a dad.  Yeah yeah I know you're like, this dude all he talks about is being a dad.  Well being that this is the first one, I'd say that it is well within my rights to have this HUGE moment on my mind.  Anyway, since dooms day I mean our baby girls birth is coming soon I've been doing some thinking about having this girl.

1.  Having a kid is a great thing.

Will I be tired? Yup.  Will crying drive me up the wall? Sure thing.  Will I be overwhelmed at times trying to take care of both my child and my wife? Absolutely, but I will also cherish it.  Scriptures says that children are a blessing and that sometimes you want to strangle them (Okay maybe not that last part).   I have worked with teens and kids for over 10 years in several different venues, but I get to love, and disciple my own child.  That is an awesome thing.

2. Having a kid takes you further you away from yourself.

The greatest lesson my marriage taught me is that it is not about you.  I knew that cognitively before I got married, but it was actually played out when I did.  I have never experienced a better picture of what it meant to be selfless until I got married.  Now in preparation for a child, our hearts, our time and our money go to this kid (who isn't even here mind you).  I know that will surely increase when she is here (esp. the money part), but again that's a great thing.  I will have to care for this child, help feed, clothe, clean, bathe because they need my care and love.  It's the perfect example of what Christ has done for me: a broken child, who can't do anything and when he does messes up.  He feeds, guides, leads and cares for me, even when I don't want it.  The relationship structure of marriage and having children is to take your eyes off yourself.  My mind and heart are prone to be selfish and to make plans, but having this baby has rearranged that and I'm thankful for it.

3.  A feeling of wholeness.

Since we found out we were having a baby and after we both kinda freaked out at the notion that we could be parents, it really felt like our relationship was becoming whole.  When I was in college and even in the first year or so of our marriage I was content on being just me and my wife.  Traveling and going out and doing whatever we wanted whenever. If you knew me and my wife, you would know we were not the we want a baby eventually people.  We were the ehhh babies are poop machines with big appetites, no thanks.  Though we enjoyed all our time together, knowing that we are having this baby girl makes us feel whole.  I have a better understanind of those family passages in the Bible now, because the relationship aspect is no longer just about me or my wife.    

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment