Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Monday, August 9, 2010

Taken for Granted


I remember when I was a kid and we traveled a lot and I was able to see some of the most beautiful places in the world: German castles, salt mines, Austrian ruins, etc... Now I usually get up early and take a walk around where I live. Walking and looking around I am usually awed by how beautiful creation is (even if its in Stafford). But as I walk I think of how much I take for granted on a daily basis. I (like other people) ask God to bless me. There's nothing wrong with that, but I truly forget in the midst of a busy day at work, lunches, classes, readings, meetings that I am already blessed BEYOND my wildest dreams.

I'm reminded of Psalm 103:2-5:
"Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not His benefits--
who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things..."

Here is a list of blessings of such a great magnitude (I could also have used the spiritual blessings mentioned in Ephesians 1 or the covenant promises (blessings) mentioned in Galatians 3-4).

The psalmist says we should give praise for these reasons:
1. we are forgiven of all sin--The beauty of the gospel (the good news) is that we are forgiven of the sin that deserved death (Rom. 6:23) or destruction (Eph. 2:1-3).

2. we are healed of all disease--disease mentioned here covers a large variety---physical, mental and spiritual. Charles Spurgeon says on this verse, "When the cause is gone, namely sin, the effect ceases. Sicknesses of the body and soul came into the world by sin, and as sin is eradicated, diseases bodily, mental and spiritual will vanish." Christ's forgiveness of our sins, through His sacrifice on the cross has healed us and given us new life.

3. we are redeemed from the pit----redemption means purchased, primarily the payment of a ransom. Pit here is the Hebrew word sahat (sorry couldn't get Hebrew accents on there). Sahat unlike the common word we know Sheol (hell, pit, death), this word actually means corrupted, to decay, destruction, and ruined. Like what sin has done to the earth, and to all human beings. Again the picture comes clear the blessing of being forgiven by Christ, which heals us and redeems us from the ruin, the destruction of sin by purchasing us!!!

4. He satisfies your desire----what a word! This Hebrew word (saba for those who care) implies more than simply satisfying your desires, but implies an overflowing!!! It means to have enough, to fill, but to also overflow. This fits perfectly within the context of the Psalm (praising God for all His benefits or blessings) and within the framework of what the coming Messiah would do.

As a fleshy, non-perfect human being, I'm constantly seeking things I do not have, or wondering if God will bless me. Though I know this Psalm well and meditated on it several times , I still forget it it often, I don't appreciate it as much as I should, and I definitely take it for granted. Like creation, which I see daily as I go to work, or to lunch, or even to class, I take for granted the fact that I am forgiven, healed, redeemed, and completely satisfied in Jesus Christ and what He has ALREADY done for me. Thankfully I am a work in progress!

Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment