Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Till ....I get bored or dont want to be in it... do us part"


I don't believe in coincidences when it comes to God. Recently it seems the topic of marriage has come up several times. I recently taught the origin and purpose of marriage to our youth group, I have been researching passages for the past 2 months about marriage, divorce, and remarriage, I will be counseling a couple on an upcoming marriage, had a member of our church ask me for Scripture passages on marriage and I am currently and newly engaged to my beautiful fiancee. This doesn't seem like just chance, I believe God is motivating me to do something. So I have decided that I am going to take the next few blogs to explain from a biblical position marriage, divorce and remarriage. Now you must understand that I am also severely ADD and could change the subject at any moment, so do not be surprised if there is an article that captures my eye and needs a biblical perspective.

Let me first set some things straight:
1. I do not intend to try to explain marriage from a perspective of experience. I have not been married, nor have I have vast experience in the area of marriage. I do not claim to be a expert. With that said, I don't think you need to be an expert to give you biblical advice, nor properly give you biblical advice using God's word concerning marriage. I'm not an expert of trail biking, but I have read, discussed with others who have been in the sport much much longer that I have, understand its fundamentals, and done it a couple of times, but by far I am no pro.
I will give you resources to read from godly men and women who know more on the subject.

2. The subject of marriage will involve going into other subjects such as: pre-martial sex, homosexual relationships, co-habitation, the picture of Christ and marriage, men's roles as well as women. You simply can't separate marriage from these topics.

3. I am writing this because I am greatly concerned with where marriage is headed in our society (both outside and most importantly inside the church!). Marriage is being grossly mistaken for dating. Be together, sleep together, live together, but never really commit to each other. This is happening in the church as well as outside. Its disturbing to me that the church is supposed to be comprised of transformed people yet our divorce rate is no different than the world.

Here is what I will be covering:

1. What is marriage? Is it about love, companionship, sex? What is its purpose? What was God's design of marriage? What advantages are there to marriage?

2. If that is what marriage looks like then what about: living together (but not sleeping together), living together and sleeping together, pre-martial sex, and other types of relationships outside the bounds of marriage.

3. Once we have a clear idea of what the biblical concept of marriage is, we can proceed to divorce. Where are all the passages that discuss divorce? Is divorce okay? What about abuse?
What are the affects of divorce on children?

4. Finally what about remarriage? Who can be remarried?


Though you may not be in a position of marriage or maybe God has called you to singleness, but I think it is still imperative to have a biblical grounding in marriage. SO that if you do get to this point you will not be deceived by the worlds position (nor your assumed Christian position). I believe that our relationships that we pursue will benefit from knowing what God's position on marriage. Hopefully it will illuminate how wonderful and glorious it really is.

Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment