Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Disappointed

I have heard over and over again about this whole Michael Phelps situation. Caught on a picture smoking out of a bong. Was there marijuana in it? I dont think Phelps would apologize if it did. Anyway I feel this brings up a much bigger issue than the isolated stupidity of Phelps: the attitude of this nation and its role models. A role model: is any person who serves as an example, whose behavior is emulated by others. This is the very things that people like Phelps has consistently said they want to be for young people. Now by all means I understand that we all make mistakes and we all fall due to our fallen condition of sin. But like pastors (Ted Haggard is a good example) spout the very thing they want to be and begin to say they want to be role models for young people or adults when they fall it seems that we make excuses for them. Haggard made his own excuses but for Phelps all you hear on the TV is that he is "a young man and needs so sow his wild oats". What kind of excuse is this??

Forgiveness doesn't entail forgetting the responsibility that one has AS a role model. Pastors are called to ministry to lead people, when they sin and fall it not only affects them, their families, but the very people who follow them. Sometimes hundreds of people turn away because they can no longer trust their pastor. Even people in Scripture failed the people and God miserably: David, Moses, Aaron, Jonah. ALot of times pastors preached on being the David in the Goliath battles, or Moses during trials of oppressive people, or be a Daniel and pray during trials. Problem with this is that those guys are not role models either!!! Its like comparing yourself to the person next to you saying whew I am not as bad as that guy. Its not about "that guy" or being Davids, Moses its about the ultimate role model Jesus Christ. Many people look to Paul as a great role model and Paul has many times said "follow my example" (1 Cor. 11:1) but he also pointed everything back to Christ...for MY example is Christ."
Another great example is 1 Tim. 1:12-15:

"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

We see Paul's problem: he was the worst, blasphemer, persecutor, a violent man. But it wasnt his mercy, or his grace, or his redemption or his faith, and love but rather Jesus Christ. Paul never wanted to be a role model he wanted people to see Jesus Christ. Its the same call today. I have people I admire, respect, enjoy but in the end their just people. I have always felt uncomfortable with people who have wanted to be "like" me or wish they had some quality that I had. And though by no means gloating on my part, I feel uncomfortable because its Christ who does it. Its His gift, His talent, His glory that I want to point, to not me. If there is some quality I have then Blessed be the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. I am a firm believer in Soli Deo Gloria (TO God alone be the Glory).

So who is your role model? I'm sticking with the King of Kings, Lord of Lords Jesus Christ.

"Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Timothy 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment