Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Thursday, February 25, 2010

We Are Defective

As a kid I think there was a period of 10 years that any type of electronic device I received for my birthday or Christmas was in some way defective. I remember having my Sega Genesis 16 bit game system. I would get a new game and run upstairs to play it immediately. In my excitement I would rip the packaging and put the game in annnnnd......................nothing. The screen would be jumbled, the game non-responsive, it was defective. I didnt do anything to it, there were no external factors that I did to make the game like that. So of course you had to take it back and wait in the longest line possible to return for store credit.

Recently I purchased a blackberry. I was excited once again. I felt like a CEO executive, I could text with speed, search the web and get little applications to do vitually anything. Brand new in the box, turned it on, did all the instructions indicated and it worked! Well for about 3 mins and then cut off and restarted. It continuously did this till I called my wireless phone company and they sent me another one brand new. That one failed me also, so we went with a third one, which died on me also. One last time and it finally worked. When I called and asked what in the world was going on and if I DID something wrong, the tech guy told me "No, there was something inherently wrong with the phone."
UNknown to him, he was describing not just an electronic gadget but the human race as a whole. They were defective in a small or large way that affected the rest of it so that it didnt function correctly.
We are not so different. We are defective. There is something innately wrong with us. We are selfish, arrogant, self seeking people. We are born defective. The psalmist details this out in
Psalm 51:5:
"Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me."

Contextually David is writing about creating a new clean heart in him. Vs. 3-4 he is telling of how he has sinned against God and that God is just in his judgement against him. He understands by verse 5 that he was "brought forth"or the Hebrew Tanak (a more direct Hebrew translation) says "I was born with iniquity" What this tells us is that we (like David) are born defective items. Now in no way does this mean that the human race is just a defective being whom GOd made a mistake. Rather its grasping at a larger theological concept that Psalm 51, Romans 5:12-24, and Romans 3:23-24 are teaching: original sin.

RC Sproul says this,
"Original sin does not mean that sin belongs to human nature...nor does it mean that the processes of reproduction and birth are sinful...rather it means that sinfulness marks everyone from birth, in the form of a heart inclined toward sin, prior to any actual sins...it is transmitted to us from Adam."

First Sproul says that original sin:

1. Marks everyone at birth (Refer to Psalm 51:5)
We know that it affects everyone and not just David. Sin knows all races, and ages.

2. The form---a heart inclined toward sin
(This is bolstered by Genesis 6:5 and Gen. 8:21-both indicate that every single inclination of man's heart is evil and that he cannot think of good--(primarily good meaning the glory of God)

3. This occurred PRIOR TO any actual sins.
(What most people want to argue is that there is a certain time when we sin (action) and we are punished for it. They tend to read scripture and where sin occurs they think of wrong actions. Hence when Paul makes lists in his epistles come time mind almost immediately. I shouldn't do this....or that... This is true but our actions STEM FROM our heart.
Jesus indicates this in Matthew 15:16-20 that out of the heart comes evil things. Not things that affect th heart FROM the outside.
(*This theory has several problems because we know that sin taints every aspect of the human heart, and mind. Biblically speaking there is nothing that supports an "age of accountability". Most responses in this area are more emotion driven rather than biblical--See Romans 5, Psalm 51:5)
So we are a defective product. Adam was our representative in the Garden, like our President represents us as a nation. Our representative fell, disobeyed God and so we fall. (See Romans 5:12-25) Tainted with sin from birth, unable to escape it.

How oh God do we remove this crimson stain? This defective product!!

Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment