Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

All fall short...

My roomate today let me know that one of our favorite Christian rappers Da Truth (as well as Ambassador from Cross Movement who was removed from their label) is stepping away from his music ministry due to a "moral indiscretion." To my knowledge he cheated on his wife with his "mentors" wife or something. Either way I came across this guys blog and he broke down the situation to say that Da Truth puts on a holier than thou persona so it was expected. He says this:

"I’ve always said a person struggles the most with the thing they won’t shut up about. Well, when you present yourself as “holier than thou” you had better be! But what I think makes these “falls” worse is that they’re so deliberate and calculated. Sin is sin and I get that, but cheating on your wife, especially with a choir member or fellow artist’s (who used to be your mentor) wife who’s been through something similar, etc. is just a tad bit ridiculous."

In his blog he proceeds to indicate he is a believer. With this I was most disturbed by the lack of grace in this article.

"I think makes these “falls” worse is that they’re so deliberate and calculated."

Isn't all sin deliberate? I mean we sin because we want to, not because someone holds a gun to our head. You lie because you want to look good or get out of a jam. You gossip so the attention of someone else' faults is in view. You get angry when you dont get YOUR way. All sin is deliberate!! There is that moment where you know its wrong yet you do it anyway.

His second quote also showed lack of grace:
"Sin is sin and I get that, but cheating on your wife, especially with a choir member or fellow artist’s (who used to be your mentor) wife who’s been through something similar, etc. is just a tad bit ridiculous."

Here he seems to do what many Christians tend to do--elevate a certain kind of sin over all others. Once again the biblical view of sin is distorted in this article. Sin is sin--meaning its all the same, there is no elevation of particular sins being worse than others. (Unless your Roman Catholic of course). But he seems to just throw that out and looks at the human situation and emotional toll. By no means am I saying what Da Truth did was not bad. The problem is the same with all of us: we dont realize that sin doesn't merely affect us both those around us. Yes Da Truth made a bad decision, he made a fleshly decision, he allowed sin to control him and offered himself to it voluntarily (Romans 6:12-14).
At the same time God is a God of restoration. He continuously put up with the Israelites and their complaining, turning away to idols, running away from God, seeking other pagan religions (quote any OT book). Yet he was always ready to restore them:

"my heart recoils within me, my compassion grows warm and tender, I will not execute ym burning anger, I will not again destroy Ephraim, for I am God not man." Hosea 11:8 (ESV)

Cause the wonderful thing about us is that "for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Rom. 3:23) "There is no one righteous, not even one..." (Psalm 14:1-3; 53:1-3) "every inclination of [man's] heart is evil..." (Gen.8:21)

We will struggle: (Romans 7:14-24)-"For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.."

Praise Jesus (trust me I am very very very very thankful for this verse)-
1 John 2:1-2: "I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense, Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins and not only for ours but also for the sins of the world."



No comments:

Post a Comment